City Water Issues
Hard Water contains dissolved calcium, magnesium and in many cases, iron. Most homes have Hard Water, whether it is supplied by a private well or a municipality. In many cases, homeowners don’t realize they have Hard Water or realize the constant and expensive damage it causes. Dry skin and hair, bathtub rings, spots on glass, silverware and fixtures, dull and dingy clothing, disappointing performance and a shortened life expectancy of water-using appliances are all problems frequently caused by Hard Water.
Since the 1850s, chlorine has been used as a disinfectant to kill harmful bacteria in the water itself or in the pipes that transport it. While this has helped end a number of major threats to public health, and is essential at the water treatment plant and in the water distribution system, it is no longer necessary once the water reaches your home.
Though chlorine is vital for stopping the spread of disease, its benefits come at a price. Chlorine tastes and smells bad. It dries skin and hair, fades clothes (bleach is made of chlorine), and can dry out the rubber seals in appliances, shortening their lives.
In its pristine state, water is colorless, tasteless and odorless. So, if your water tastes or smells funny, you owe it to yourself to find out why.
Bacteria and Viruses
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there could be as many as 12 million cases of waterborne acute gastrointestinal illnesses annually in the United States alone. These illnesses are frequently caused by bacteria, viruses and protozoa that make their way into the water supply. Even well-operated, state-of-the-art treatment plants cannot ensure that drinking water is entirely free of microbial pathogens.